762 LYN and train approaching Woody Bay,  2004, Eric Leslie

The 762 Club - History

The Lynton & Barnstaple Railway

The Lynton & Barnstaple Railway (L&B) opened as an independent railway in May 1898. It was a single track narrow gauge railway just over 19 miles (30 km) long running through the rugged and picturesque area bordering Exmoor in North Devon, England. Although opened after the 1896 Light Railways Act came into force, it was authorised and constructed prior to that act. Therefore, as with all other railways, it was authorised under its own Act of Parliament and built to higher (and more costly) standards than similar railways of the time. In the UK it was notable as being the only narrow gauge line required to use main-line standard signalling.

For a short period the line earned a modest return for shareholders, but for most of its life the L&B made a loss. In 1923 the L&B was taken over by the Southern Railway, and eventually closed in September 1935.

LYN being assembled at Pilton, 1898  Eric Leslie The L&B used only coal-fired steam motive power. In 1896, the Hunslet Engine Company submitted two designs (a 2-4-2T and a 4-4-0T), but eventually an order was placed for three 2-6-2Ts from Manning Wardle & Co of Leeds. The locos were named after local rivers: Yeo, Exe, and Taw. These were supplemented by a 2-4-2T, Lyn, built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia, USA, as the Company realised that three locos would be insufficient. Baldwin was selected as they could deliver the loco — based largely on standard components — more quickly than domestic suppliers, who had a backlog of orders, caused by a national engineering dispute over the 8 hour working day resulting in a lock-out by employers from July 1897 and January 1898. Consequently a performance specification was issued to Baldwins and an acceptable tender figure of 1,375.00 for the construction was issued and accepted in April 1898. Design work began on 5th May 1898 and the final drawing is dated 25th May 1898 — a most impressive output indeed. The locomotive was built and first steamed at the BLW works in July 1898.

In 1923 the L&B was absorbed into the Southern Railway, and began an upgrade programme. All stock was repainted in Southern Maunsell livery, and track and buildings were improved. A fifth locomotive, LEW was purchased in 1925, built to an improved design based on the original Manning Wardles.

Lyn

LYN arrived from the Baldwin Company of Philidelphia, in parts for assembly at Pilton yard, and first steamed in July 1898. As well as being the only loco to have been built at Pilton, LYN was the only one to leave for servicing. Under Southern ownership, Lyn was shipped to Eastleigh in 1928, returning the following year fully refurbished and in full Southern livery.

The 15,965th Baldwin locomotive built, LYN featured outside bar frames typical of American 2-4-2s of the period. The sand domes positioned to each side of the steam dome are also typical of American loco design.LYN steaming past Loxhore  Eric Leslie LYN was the only L&B engine to have a fully enclosed cab. Although the design was unique to this engine, many of the components were standard units from the Baldwin catalogue, and two similar locos, although slightly larger, were built at around the same time, for the Victoria Railway in Australia. (For more information on the statistics of LYN and the nAs, see the design page) Based on the design of these two locos, 15 others were built locally, and although the Baldwin originals didn't survive, some of the class are still in regular use today. LYN was the only American-built locomotive built for the Southern Railway, although others saw mainline service forty years later, during the Second World War.

A number of modifications were made to LYN over her life including the fitting of coal rails to the bunker, changes to the smokebox door and re-boilering in 1907.

Re-painted in standard Lynton & Barnstaple livery, LYN ran in this form until the railway was taken over by the Southern Railway in 1923. During her time in Southern ownership she saw changes to her name plates, chimney and numerous other details as well, of course, the adoption of a new livery.

The Lynton & Barnstaple Railway ran its last train on the 29th September, 1935 and LYN, along with YEO, EXE, and TAW were sadly reduced to scrap at Pilton yard. LEW survived the blowtorches, and used to dismantle the track, before being shipped to South America and an uncertain fate. Lyn was sold to J.Cashmore Ltd for 50 and broken-up almost immediately on site; only a headlamp and a water gauge protector survived the scrapman.



Copyright © 2009 - 2016, The 762 Club Ltd. Page last updated: 16 Aug 2012 (News page and RSS Feed last updated: 02 Apr 2017)
Company registered in England, No. 7401325 Registered office: 12 Culm Close, Bideford, EX39 4AX
Registered as a Charity with the Charity Commission for England & Wales under registration number 1139839

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional