The 762 Club - Manning Wardles Home
The 762 Club's first new-build project is now complete, and LYN is in regular revenue-earning service at Woody Bay.
The 762 Club continues to own and manage LYN on behalf of the LYNTON & BARNSTAPLE RAILWAY.
LYN features prominently on the L&B Website and Facebook Pages, so we are now in a position to begin our next project...
LYN was the fourth locomotive acquired for the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway in 1898. Three Manning, Wardle & Co. locomotives - YEO, EXE and TAW - were purchased before the line opened, shortly before LYN arrived as a kit of parts from Baltimore, USA.
In 1923, The Southern Railway took over ownership of the line, and introduced a number of improvements including, in 1925, ordering a fourth Manning Wardle - LEW - for the line.
Apart from LEW, all the locomotives were broken up for scrap in the railway's yard at Pilton shortly after closure in 1935. Being the newest, LEW was saved for use during the dismantling of the line, and was eventually refurbished and shipped off to somewhere in South America and an uncertain, obscure, and so-far undiscovered future.
Who knows what might happen regarding replacing those long-lost locomotives, but well, WATCH THIS SPACE!...
Copyright © 2009 - 2018, The 762 Club Ltd. Page last updated: 03 Sep 2018
Company registered in England, No. 7401325 Registered office: 12 Culm Close, Bideford, EX39 4AX
Registered as a Charity with the Charity Commission for England & Wales under registration number 1139839